Transfer Student Resources

If you're a prospective, admitted or current student looking to make your time — and your credits — at the College of Charleston count, then you need to connect with the Office of the Registrar. For current students requesting to take courses at another instution, visit The Hub for details.

Types of Transfer Students 

  • Transfer students with more than 12 hours of earned college-level credit
  • Transfer students with fewer than 12 hours of earned college-level credit
  • Readmit students — have attended the College of Charleston before
  • Second degree students — have already earned one bachelor’s degree
  • Degree completion – adult learners (21+) who want to complete their bachelor's degree

Transfer Credit

Transfer students are a vital part of the College of Charleston student body. As a transfer student, you bring diverse ideas and experiences. We know that the number one question on your mind is, "how many of my credits will transfer." The good news is that we're here to help! You can find valuable information on this website, but also visit the Office of the Registrar for additional guidance.
  • Transfer Credit Evaluation

    Your courses are eligible for transfer when they are evaluated based on

    • content,
    • level,
    • comparability of the course completed, and 
    • any program accreditation of the institution at which the course was taken.

    Credit can be evaluated in three ways:

    1. equivalent.
    2. elective.
    3. not applicable for transfer.
    As a rule, credit for a specific College of Charleston catalog course will be granted when the academic department has determined that the content, level and pre-requisites of the course completed elsewhere are equivalent to the College of Charleston course.
  • Transfer Credit Eligibility

    In order to attend the College, you'll need to submit a final transcript from each college and university previously attended. You'll need to submit a transcript even if no credit was earned and/or no courses were completed. 

    A course from another institution is eligible for transfer credit evaluation when the course is: 

    • earned at a school accredited by a regional accreditation association. 
    • graded at least a "C" (2.000 on a 4.000 scale). 
    • not a duplication of credits already earned. 

    Disputes over transfer credit determination may be appealed in writing to the Provost (or the Provost’s designee) no later than 15 days following receipt of the transfer credit evaluation. The decision of the Provost is final.

    Coursework completed more than 10 years ago may be subject to an additional review.

  • Maximum Transfer Credits Accepted
    Students seeking an A.B., B.A., B.G.S., or B.S. degree

    We will accept up to 90 credit hours, including all credits earned by examination (e.g. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, etc.).

    Students seeking a B.P.S. degree

    We will accept up to 87 credit hours, including all credits earned by examination.

    Information regarding credits from two-year schools 
    • If you were admitted or readmitted prior to fall 2020, up to 60 hours of transfer credit earned at a two-year institution may be applied to your College of Charleston bachelor’s degree.
    • If you were admitted or readmitted fall 2020 or after, up to 66 hours of transfer credit earned at a two-year institution may be applied to your College of Charleston bachelor's degree. 

    When does it make sense to decline credit? 

    If you took courses in fall 2015 and after, you may decline transfer credit. You may want to decline credit if you want to add another transfer course or courses without going over the maximum hours of transfer credit allowed. Students may also decline transfer credit to take a course at another institution as a transient or cross-registered student.

  • How your credits transfer

    We only accept coursework with a minimum grade of “C” (2.000 on a 4.000 scale).

    If your courses were graded on a pass/fail basis, we can only accept them if the institution indicates in their published grade scale that a “pass” grade is the minimum equivalent of an earned “C” (2.000 on a 4.000 scale).

    When we award credit hours, it will reflect the hours of credit the other institution would have awarded for the course. However, credits awarded at another institution as a result of placement testing are not acceptable.

    Grades do not transfer, only credits. New transfer students will enter the College of Charleston without a grade point average (GPA).

    The College of Charleston does not award transfer credit for:

    • life experience.
    • work experience gained prior to admission.
    • non-credit bearing coursework completed toward a professional certificate.

    We do not accept graduate and doctoral level coursework for undergraduate transfer credit. 

    We do not give give academic credit for non-credit coursework.

    We do not accept non-credit coursework, certificates or continuing education units for credit.

    Study Abroad Credit 

    Credit earned while studying abroad at a partner university or organization will appear on a student’s College of Charleston transcript as transfer credit. It is not subject to Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) substantive change thresholds.

  • Semester to Quarter Equivalency

    The College of Charleston is on a semester system.

    The following table should be used to determine semester hour equivalent of courses taken from a quarter hour system school. 


    Quarter HoursSemester Hours

    NOTE: College of Charleston rounds half credit hours up to the next whole number. For example, a half credit from another school would equal one credit hour at College of Charleston.

    Once admitted, you can use your College of Charleston credentials to log in to Degree Works and view an updated list of awarded and pending credit. Access Degree Works through MyPortal. For instructions, visit the Next Steps page. 

Other Types of Transfer Credit

There are many ways to earn transfer credit.
  • South Carolina Colleges and Universities

    The S.C. transfer articulation agreement identifies 86 courses that are guaranteed to transfer among the public colleges and universities in South Carolina. NOTE: Course equivalents are subject to change at any time and do not replace an official evaluation of transfer credit by the Registrar's Office. 

    Students admitted or readmitted in fall 2015 to spring 2021

    Students admitted or readmitted in fall 2021 or later

    Unofficial information about transfer credit is available through the Transfer Equivalency Database and Transferology

    You can also learn more by visiting the South Carolina Transfer and Articulation Center.


    SC Technical College Degree Completion Recommendation Guides

    Click on the appropriate link below to view degree completion recommendations for Schools at the College of Charleston.

    Important Notes:

    • These guides are for advisement purposes only and do not include every technical college course that is available for transfer to the College of Charleston. Students should seek the assistance of an academic advisor at their technical college when planning an academic program to meet the requirements of the college or university to which they desire to transfer.
    • These guides do not include every technical college course that is available for transfer to the College of Charleston.   Rather, the guides are suggestions for you and your advisor(s), based on the requirements in place for the indicated academic year. 
    • Students are not required to take all courses listed in the guides prior to transferring.
    • Courses must be passed with a grade of C (2.000 on a 4.000 scale) or higher in order to be considered for transfer credit. 
    • The maximum number of transfer credits that may be applied to the requirements for students admitted or readmitted prior to fall 2020, the maximum number of transfer hours earned at a two-year institution that may be applied to the requirements for all College of Charleston bachelor’s degrees is sixty (60) credit hours.  For students admitted or readmitted fall 2020 forward, the maximum number of transfer hours earned at a two-year institution that may be applied to the requirements for all College of Charleston bachelor’s degrees is sixty-six (66) credit hours.

    Catalog Year 2023-2024


    South Carolina Associate Degree Transfer Guarantee 

    Start your work at the College of Charleston with 60 credit hours and junior status! 

    If you have earned an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree from a public, two-year institution of higher learning in South Carolina, then you will receive a minimum of 60 transfer credit hours at the College of Charleston and junior status.

    Your courses will still be evaluated for transfer credit, and those courses not eligible for equivalent transfer will be considered for a block of transfer credit designated as SCTR 1EE in order to reach the necessary 60 credits. 

    If you complete an A.A. or A.S. degree at a public, two-year institution in South Carolina, you will meet all pre-requisite requirements for admission to the Bachelor or Professional Studies (B.P.S.) degree. 

  • Military Credit

    If you were admitted or readmitted starting in the spring 2020 semester or after, you will have your Joint Services Transcript (JST) evaluated for potential transfer credit. The College of Charleston awards transfer credit to undergraduate military students in recognition of their military training in accordance with the criteria below.


    • Students must be a veteran with an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, an active service member or a member of the Reserves/National Guard who has completed required trainings. Active Duty, Reservist and National Guard must provide Orders or Statement of Service along with their official transcript. Veterans are required to provide their DD-214 (Member 4 copy) along with their official transcript. 
    • The Joint Services Transcript (JST) from the issuing agency is required for current and former Army, Navy and Marine Corps, and Coast Guard students. 
    • The Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) official transcript is required for all students who have attended this institution. 

    Transfer Credit 

    The College of Charleston requires the relevant academic department chair (or chair’s designee) or program director (or director’s designee) to determine the suitability of course credit earned through military training for transfer to the College.

    The College of Charleston uses the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations and university transfer credit policies to assess U.S. military training credit for undergraduate students. 

    The College reserves the right to accept ACE recommendations as a guideline, but will retain and exercise responsibility for assuring that the military training credits accepted are at the collegiate level and have resulted in learning outcomes comparable to credits those students would achieve through the College’s own instruction. 

    All College of Charleston transfer credit policies apply to the process of evaluating and awarding military training for academic credit. 

    Students may earn up to 30 transfer credit hours from their Joint Services Transcript. Only courses which have American Council on Education (ACE) course recommendations are eligible for evaluation. These credit hours count toward the maximum transfer credit hours earned at a two-year institution that may be applied to the requirements for all College of Charleston bachelor’s degrees (A.B., B.A., B.S., B.G.S., B.P.S.).

    Students who have completed one year of military service in the United States military will be awarded four credit hours of elective transfer credit for the physical education activity course PEAC 1EE. These credit hours are included in the 30 credit hour maximum referenced above.

    See the Maximum Credit Hours Accepted section for more information. 

  • International Credit

    If you have coursework from a college or university outside of the United States, you must submit official transcripts (mark sheets, academic records) with English translations to a recognized credential evaluation agency for verification and a course-by-course evaluation.

    In addition, you must submit English translations of course descriptions to the College of Charleston.

    You are responsible for ensuring the translation and evaluation of documents meet our deadlines. You are also responsbile for all costs associated with these services. NOTE: This may take several months. 

    Once the external credential evaluation agency completes its work, you may submit your transcript for evaluation by the College. 

    NOTE: If the College of Charleston has a formally recognized transfer articulation agreement with another institution, regardless of citizenship, you do not need to use the external credential evaluation agency. 

    Connect with international admissions for more information. 

Credit by Exam

The College awards credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), Cambridge International Exams (A Level and AS Level) and many College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) exams, based on the student’s scores. When credit is given, your College of Charleston transcript will show that the credit comes from an exam.
  • Advanced Placement

    The College of Charleston accepts credits from the Advanced Placement (AP) program of the College Entrance Examination Board (CEEB). If you enroll in a class that you have received AP credit for, you will not receive credit for taking the class, although your grade may be included in your GPA. If you wish to decline AP credit for a class, you must download and complete a Decline AP Credit form. You must submit this form prior to taking the class. Credit will not be awarded for individuals sitting for the Advanced Placement exams after graduating from high school.

    View Advanced Placement Credits - Fall 2024



  • International Baccalaureate

    The College of Charleston accepts the International Baccalaureate program. If you have taken college-level courses in secondary schools and have achieved a score of four, five, six or seven on a higher level (HL) IB examination, you will be awarded credit. Other language exams not listed can also be reviewed for credit. Results may be similar to those listed for Spanish, French and German.

    View International Baccalaureate Credits

  • CLEP Subject Examination Credit

    The College of Charleston awards credit for selected CLEP Subject Exams. Academic departments determine the minumum CLEP score the College can accept. When the credit is awarded, the student's record will indicate that the credit comes from a CLEP examination.

    View CLEP Subject Examination Credit 

  • Cambridge International Exams

    The College of Charleston awards credit for a grade of “E” or higher on the Cambridge International Advanced (“A”) or Advanced Subsidiary (“AS”) Level exams. Exam results must be sent directly from the testing agency to the College of Charleston for credit evaluation. Note: No credit is awarded for the English General Paper (AS Level).

    View Cambridge International Exams

  • DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)

    The College of Charleston awards credit for selected DSST exams. The passing grade for each examination is the score recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE). When credit is awarded, the student’s record will indicate the credit comes from a DSST examination.

    View DSST Examination Credit

  • Declining Credit

    If you wish to decline exam credit, you must download the appropriate form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

    NOTE: Undeclared students must have these forms approved by their academic advisor. Declared students must have these forms approved by their faculty advisor. A request to decline credit must be submitted prior to your taking the class.

    Student Forms in Registrar's Hub

Credit Evaluations

The Registrar's Office will complete a formal evaluation of transfer credit after you are offered admission to the College of Charleston and an official transcript has been received. You may use Degree Works in MyPortal to view an updated list of awarded and pending transfer credit.

Learn more about MyPortal in the admitted students section.

Common Evaluation Abbreviations 

Since grades do not transfer, just credits, your transferred courses are assigned marks of TR, PT or VP.

  • TR = Transferred Course 
  • PT = Pending Transcript. PT is an indicator that the course was in progress at another institution when the official transcript was received. A final, official transcript is required, at which time courses graded “C” (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher will be changed to TR.
  • VP = Visiting Permission. VP is an indicator that a student plans to enroll in the course at another college/university. An official transcript showing the final grade of the course is required, at which time courses graded "C" (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher will be changed to TR.

If no College of Charlseton equivalent course exists, but the credit is accepted, you will see the following marks: 

  • EE = Elective Credit Only. Credit hours count toward the 122 credit hour degree requirement. They do not count toward major, minor or general education requirements. 
  • MM = Major/Minor Course within the department. Credit hours may count toward major or minor elective requirements.

If your course is under evaluation by the department or program faculty designee, or if we need additional information from you, you'll initially see one of the following marks: 

  • UNDE  XXX = Under Evaluation. Course has been sent to the faculty evaluator for review.
  • UNDE  SYL = Needs Syllabus. Student must supply course syllabus before the course may be reviewed.
  • UNDE  COU = Needs Course Description. Student must supply course description before the course may be evaluated.
  • UNDE  REG = Contact Registrar's Office. More information is needed in order to determine if transfer credit can be awarded. Please reach out to the Office of the Registrar to see what is needed.
  • UNDE  DEP = Department Chair Consultation Needed. Student must speak with the department chair for the final course credit decision.

Students with courses evaluated as “Need Course Description” or “Syllabus Required” should e-mail the course description or syllabus to or submit a paper copy to the Registrar's Office. Please include full given name, College of Charleston student ID number and name of institution where course was completed.