Other Types of Financial Aid

Additional aid opportunities may be available to help make your College of Charleston experience more affordable.

Additional Aid Opportunities

A variety of investment and funding opportunities may assist you and your family in financing your college education, including work-study programs, tax credits and college savings programs.
  • Federal Work-Study Program

    The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides degree-seeking students who have financial need the opportunity to work part-time in order to earn money for educational expenses.

    Financial aid applicants who receive FWS awards may be employed by departments on the College of Charleston campus or by various approved off-campus sites. Refer to the Career Center for additional information about student employment.

    Obtaining Federal Work Study

    To receive federal work study, a degree-seeking student should complete the FAFSA

    In order to be awarded work-study funds, College of Charleston students must submit a work-study request form.

    Students are awarded work-study funds from the federal work-study request list on a first-come, first-served basis. Notifications will be sent to students at their college email address. Students on the request list that do not receive a federal work-study award will be placed on the waitlist.

    Students who do not find employment may have their Federal Work-Study award cancelled and re-awarded to students on the waiting list. FWS students cannot be employed in two work-study positions simultaneously. Employed Federal Work-Study students receive a payment every two weeks.

    FWS Request List

    The Federal Work-Study (FWS) request list is for students who have found, or intend to find, employment through the FWS program.

    Students must submit an FWS request to be awarded FWS funds.
    Please note:

    • FWS requires financial need. Only submit a request after the College has received your FAFSA. If your FAFSA has not been received your request will be deleted.
    • Submitting a request does not guarantee that you will get awarded FWS funds.
    • If you are awarded FWS funds, you are responsible for finding FWS-eligible employment. If you fail to secure FWS-eligible employment in a timely manner, the FWS funds may be canceled and awarded to another student.
    • You only receive FWS funds by working, and since the funds are only paid as a part of your paycheck, they will not directly offset tuition costs.
  • Federal Job Location and Development Program

    The Job Location & Development (JLD) program is a federally funded program designed to assist students in locating part-time jobs both on and off campus.

    The JLD program allows all students to take advantage of employment to help with expenses while obtaining valuable work experience. The program is available for students with Federal Work-Study awards as well as students with no work-study award.

    A job posting board advertising local job openings can be found in the Career Center and is updated weekly with new opportunities. Career counseling, testing and job search assistance is also available. The use of this service is free and available to all College of Charleston students.


  • Community Service Employment

    Community Service Employment provides students with financial need the opportunity to work part-time performing community service activities in order to earn money for educational expenses.

    Financial aid applicants who receive a Federal Work-Study award as part of their financial aid package are eligible for community service employment opportunities located in specific departments on the College of Charleston campus or at approved off-campus work sites.

    Obtaining Community Service Employment

    Students interested in community service employment or in the "America Reads" or the "America Counts" tutoring programs, should apply via Handshake (see the Career Center for details).

    The hourly rate for community service positions is determined by the employer but will be at least the current minimum wage. Reading tutors are paid a minimum of $10.00 an hour for hours worked.

    Students employed in community service positions are paid every two weeks.

  • ROTC & Air Force ROTC Scholarships

    Scholarships and other means of financial support for education are available to students in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) and Air Force Reserve Officers' Training Corps (AFROTC)

    Scholarships may cover full tuition as well as textbook fees, monthly stipends and other reasonable fees.

    ROTC and AFROTC is an elective curriculum that students take along with their required college classes. It prepares students for success in any competitive environment by teaching transferable skills and leadership training.

    College of Charleston students participate through the ROTC program at The Citadel (Palmetto Battalion), while Air Force ROTC cadets participate through the program at Charleston Southern University (Detachment 772, home of the Flying Bucs). 

    ROTC and AFROTC cadets will have a traditional college experience, but upon graduating will be prepared for a career in our armed forces.

    Air Force ROTC Scholarships 

    For details on Air Force ROTC scholarship opportunities, visit the AFROTC office at Charleston Southern University on the second floor of Russell West, email at afrotc@csuniv.edu, or call 843.863.7408.

    For more information on Air Force ROTC scholarships, visit afrotc.com

    Army ROTC Scholarships

    • Army ROTC Scholarship Program
      The Army ROTC Scholarship offers three- and four-year options. Scholarship benefits are the same across the board regardless of the different types.

      Any Army ROTC Scholarship covers the following:
      - 100% tuition & fees OR room & board
      - $1200 annually for books
      - ROTC cadet stipend depending on academic classification
      - Cadets possessing a National Guard or Army Reserve scholarship will earn an additional $350 per month.

    • National Scholarships

      Awards high school students four-year or three-year scholarships. Upon completion of the program, you will be commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Active Army, National Guard or Army Reserves.

      For high school juniors, the application opens June 15 and must be started prior to January 10 of senior year. The deadline for this application is February 28.

      Visit the GoArmy.com scholarship site for more information.

    • Minuteman Scholarships

      Minuteman Scholarship recipients must participate in the Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP), in which they are part of an Army Reserve/ National Guard unit. With their unit, they will attend monthly drill and annual training, while being paid as a sergeant. After graduation and commissioning, Minuteman Scholarship recipients are guaranteed placement in the Army Reserve or National Guard.

      Visit the National Guard Scholarships site for more information

    • STEM Scholarships

      In addition to traditional Army ROTC scholarships, there are specialty scholarships for students that are studying in the fields of science, mathematics, technology or engineering.

      These scholarships require a student to major in a STEM-related field but offer the same financial benefits as traditional Army ROTC scholarships, including full tuition and fees OR room and board, a lump sum for books and a monthly stipend up to $500. These scholarships are submitted and awarded on a case-by-case basis.

      Majors at The Citadel eligible for a STEM scholarship are as follows:

      - biology
      - chemistry
      - mathematics
      - engineering (civil, electrical, mechanical)
      - computer science

    • Line Scholarships

      General scholarship, allows you to compete for active duty or commission into the National Guard or Army reserves.

    • Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarships

      Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) and Dedicated ARNG/USAR scholarships are available through the Army Reserve and National Guard for students participating in the Army ROTC program.

      These two- or three-year scholarships obligate a student to become an SMP cadet while in college and an Officer in the Army Reserve or National Guard after graduation.

      They are full tuition and fees scholarships (with option for room and board instead of tuition), additional allowances for books and fees, and a monthly stipend. Qualified cadets may be eligible to receive Montgomery G.I. Bill® / Army College Fund (MGIB/ACF), as well as federal and state tuition assistance benefits. Students must be eligible for, and participate in, the SMP Program to compete for GRFD scholarships.

      Visit the National Guard Scholarships site for more information

    • Army ROTC Nursing Scholarships

      Nursing students who are also Army ROTC Cadets can benefit from unique hands-on nursing opportunities while receiving financial assistance for college. They will gain valuable leadership experience and management training that can benefit them in either a military or private-sector nursing career. The Army ROTC Nursing Scholarship program offers two-, three- or four-year scholarships for undergraduate nursing students. These are full tuition scholarships (with the option for room and board instead of tuition), additional allowances for books and fees, and a monthly stipend.

      Visit the GoArmy.com scholarship site for more information

    • Army Health Profession Scholarship Program

      Qualifying students receive full tuition for any accredited medical, dental, veterinary, psychiatric nurse practitioner, psychology or optometry program, plus a generous monthly stipend of more than $2,000.

    • Green to Gold Scholarships

      The Army Green to Gold Program is designed to offer enlisted soldiers in the active Army the opportunity to earn a commission as Army officers. This program offers enlisted soldiers several unique ways to earn a baccalaureate or graduate degree.

      Active duty soldiers who earn the Green to Gold scholarship option are released from active duty to attend college full time, participate in Army ROTC and receive full tuition benefits.

      Learn more about the Green to Gold Scholarship

    • Army ROTC Educational Delay Program

      The Educational Delay (Ed Delay) program is designed to produce active duty judge advocates (lawyers) or health care professionals from current ROTC cadets.

      The program allows senior-year cadets (MS IV) to apply for a commissioning delay in order to attend law school or medical school. Cadets granted an Ed Delay are commissioned after graduation and placed in IRR during the duration of law school.

      Participation in Ed Delay does not guarantee that the cadet will be selected for the JAG Corps, but it does greatly increase the chances of selection.

      Visit the GoArmy.com scholarship site for more information


  • Tax Benefits for Higher Education

    The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides tax benefits for education that can help you get some money back from your tuition or interest on your loan. 

    Tax credits include the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit and other tax benefits that may apply to your situation.

    South Carolina Tax Credits

    South Carolina college students and their families may be eligible for the South Carolina income tax credit for tuition paid to South Carolina colleges and universities. You must file a Form SC1040 to claim the credit.

    Visit the South Carolina Tuition Tax Credit website for more information.


    Learn about IRS Tax Benefits
  • 529 College Savings Plan/Prepaid Tuition

    South Carlina 529 Savings Plan

    The South Carolina 529 College Savings Plan allows students and families to save money for future college expenses and let those savings grow tax free. For details about the South Carolina Future Scholar Program, visit the Future Scholar website.

    South Carolina Tuition Prepayment Program

    The South Carolina Tuition Prepayment Program (SCTPP) allows families to pay in advance for the tuition expense of a child's college education at any of South Carolina's public colleges and universities.

    For more information about the South Carolina Tuition Prepayment Program visit the SCTPP website.

    Questions regarding third-party billing for 529 or any other state tuition payment programs should be directed to the College of Charleston Treasurer’s Office.

    Contact the Treasurer's Office