Gap Year

Admitted first-year students are eligible for deferred enrollment (for one academic year). Transfer students are not eligible for deferred enrollment. Students taking a Post Grad year are not a part of the gap/deferring enrollment process. If you are planning to take a Post Grad year, you will need to re-apply for the term you plan on entering College of Charleston.

If you plan on deferring your enrollment, do not do the following:

  • Do not submit your enrollment deposit. Enrollment deposits are non-refundable and non-transferrable. If you submit an enrollment deposit and then decide to defer your enrollment, you will need to submit another enrollment deposit for the following school year.
  • If you have already submitted an enrollment deposit, do not sign up for Housing. You will be subjected to cancellation fees. Learn more on cancellation fees by visiting our Housing website.
Please reach out to if you would like to consider deferring your enrollment or if you have any further questions regarding deferring your enrollment.